Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The Bucket List

Ben and I have done our fair share of deployments but there are stark differences between the past 9 and this big 'ol number 10.  Obviously, the most glaring difference is the amount of consecutive time he will be gone from us.  This doesn't make it harder or easier, just different.  So far, the emotions are all the same, with the challenges all being trying to keep as much of a sense of normalcy as possible in a completely un-normal situation.  One of the things I have seen other spouses do to help keep their mind off the deployment and focused on other things is the Deployment Bucket List.  So, I thought I would give it a shot.  Here is my Deployment #10 Bucket List:
  1. Compete in the Princess Half-Marathon and Glass Slipper Challenge (signed up to do this in February 2014...ahh!!  I can't wait!!)
  2. Maintain a sense of normalcy.  This sounds so much easier than it actually is.  Sometimes, where there are just 3 of us (especially two smaller mouths), things as simple as cooking dinner regularly can seem like a waste of time.  Things like decorating for Christmas can be emotional or sticking to the routines we have when Daddy is around.  I have found that fighting to maintain "normalcy" is critical to the survival and success of any deployment so it makes it way onto the list.
  3. Complete and stick to a Be, Learn, Read, Do list.  I will explain for of this in a different post.  But for now, let's just say it is a way to challenge and improve myself emotionally, mentally and spiritually.
  4. Walk to Afghanistan.  Did you know it is 6,575 miles from Fort Drum to Afghanistan. My goal is to log enough miles walking, running, on the elliptical, whatever to reach Afghanistan and back.  If you are interested in this particular challenge with me, email me and I will send you the official mileage log.
  5. Meet all the financial goals Ben and I established before he left.
  6. Find new and exciting adventures for the kids and I to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment